National Customer Service Association
NCSA Membership Log In Contact Us
National Customer Service Association
...Customer First

Critical Customer Service Statistics

Cost of Poor Customer ServiceNCSA Critical Customer Service Statistics


According to an article by Swetha Amaresan, there is a distinct bottom-line cost to poor customer service.

50% of customers say they would switch to a new brand after ONE bad experience (Zendesk).
78% of customers have backed out of a purchase due to a poor customer service experience (Glance).
80% of consumers say they would rather do business with a competitor after more than one bad experience (Zendesk).

Every interaction with every customer establishes your service rating. According to Qualtrics XM Institute, only 20% of customers who consider you a "very poor" service provider will give you another chance. If a customer rates you as "very good," there is an 80% chance they will forgive a bad experience with you. You must pursue "very good" or "excellent" ratings every day with every customer interaction. Your business is literally counting on it.